Well I'm back and ready to do some fun work.
In the meantime it seems that at least one of my crash-fixes, from the prior public bugfixing, has been uploaded:
I'm still a little bit frustrated that some of the other patches I made (to different packages) were ignored, but I guess I shouldn't be too worried. They'll get fixed sooner or later regardless of whether it was "my" fix.
In other news I've been stalling a little on the Debian Administration website.
There are a couple of reasonable articles in the submissions queue - but nothing really special. I can't help thinking that the next article being a nice round number of 600 deserves something good/special/unique? hard to quantify, but definitely something I'm thinking. I guess I leave it while the weekend and if nothing presents itself I'll just go dequeue the pending pieces.
In other news I've managed to migrate the mail scanning service into a nicely split architecture - with minimal downtime.
I'm pleased that:
- The architecture was changed massively from a single-machine orientated service to a trivially scalable one - and that this was essentially seamless.
- My test cases really worked.
- I've switched from being "toy" to being "small".
- I've even pulled in a couple of new users.
Probably more changes to come once I've had a rest (but I guess I write about that elsewhere; because otherwise people get bored!).
The most obvious change to consider is to allow almost "instant-activation". I dislike having to manually approve and setup new domains, even if it does boil down to clicking a button on a webpage - so I'm thinking I should have a system in place such that you can sign up, add your domain, and be good to go without manual involvement. (Once DNS has propogated, obviously!)
Anyway enough writing. Ice-cream calls, and then I must see if more bugs have been reported against my packages...
ObQuote: Run Lola Run.